Travel Abroad & Reentry to the U.S.

The Duke University International Travel Policy requires that all faculty, staff, undergraduate and graduate/professional students enter their travel plans in the Duke Travel Registry if a trip abroad will be funded by, sponsored by, or entails earning credit to be transferred to Duke or used to earn a Duke degree. 


Travel to Contiguous Territory & Adjacent Islands

The Department of State (DOS) regulations have a special provision related to visas stamps called "automatic revalidation." The automatic revalidation rules apply to almost all visa classes from "A" through "V."

30-Day Absence From the U.S.

In order to maintain continuous E, F, J, H, O, R, TN or similar non-immigrant status while outside the United States, the absence from the United States must “brief, casual, and innocent” and must not constitute a break in activities. 

Registration & Domestic Travel within the U.S.

When a foreign national first enters into the United States they are "registered." That means that the visa documents are reviewed and the foreign national is given a visa status to remain in the United States.

Inviting Friends & Family for a Short Visit

This information is for Duke students and scholars who would like to invite a family member or friend to the United States for a short visit or graduation.