The minimum Department of State insurance guidelines and the coverage Duke University requires for a waiver of the GeoBlue Insurance plan are:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000.
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
- May include provisions for co-insurance under the terms of which the exchange visitor may be required to pay up to 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.
- Policy must be secured to meet the benefits requirements and be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant's policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.
Other Helpful Information
- J Exchange Visitor Health, Medical Evacuation, and Repatriation Insurance
- J Exchange Visitor Health Insurance Plan Eligibility
- Why You Need Health Insurance
- ISOS-Repatriation and Medical Evacuation insurance (For scholars who qualified for at Duke Employee insurance plan.)
- Waiver Request Portal