F-1 or J-1 students enrolled full-time and are making normal process towards their degrees are allowed to work on campus part-time during the academic term (20 hours per week) or full-time during the summer vacation and holiday breaks(40 hours) on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20s or DS2019s. Students receiving I-20s or DS2019s issued by Duke, must complete the initial registration with Duke Visa Services (DVS) before receiving on campus employment. After finding an on campus student employment opportunity, each student must:

  1. Receive an employment letter on Duke letterhead from the Duke department which includes the following information:
    • Job title
    • Location
    • Number of hours per week the student will work and amount per hour
    • Supervisor
  2. Ask the department Payroll representative to create an electronic I-9.
  3. Complete Section 1 of the I-9 and print a copy. Instructions can be found on the Form I-9 page.
  4. Report to the Visa Services Office with the following:
    • Passport
    • I-94 printout
    • I-20 or DS-2019
    • On-Campus employment letter or Research/Teaching assistantship letter
    • Copy of the I-9

The Duke Visa Services Office will:

  1. Complete Section 2 of the I-9.
  2. F-1 students with on-campus employment will receive an employment verification letter that must be presented to the department supervisor/payroll representative to provide written verification of employment.
  3. F-1 students with Research/Teaching assistantship letters: DVS will review the letter to determine if it can be used or provide you with a sample letter that your Duke department must create and sign. You will need this letter to request a Social Security letter.
  4. J-1 students will receive a letter confirming employment eligibility.
  5. All students will receive Instructions on how to request a Social Security Number, required for every person working in the United States and the location of the nearest Social Security Administration Office.

Students seeking on campus employment can find resources on the Student Affairs Finding Campus Employment webpage.